Sunday, July 27, 2008

Finally another photo night

It was partly cloudy when I left for the mountains Saturday evening, but the skies cleared not long after I arrived at my imaging site. The humidity in the air made the seeing very stable, and a cool breeze made the evening very pleasant. I did not have much problem with condensation on my optics, even with the higher humidity, and I would say that the gentle breeze helped in that regard. I did manage to get about 2 hours of imaging in before the high clouds and fog stopped the astrophotography.

The image above is the constellation, Sagittarius. It is located in the south, and it's stars form a recognizable "Teapot" shape. In the bright area, just above and right of the teapot's spout is the center of our Milky Way galaxy. The bright star on the left is not a star at all. It is our planet neighbor, Jupiter, which is easily spotted in the southern skies all evening.
Camera - Canon EOS 40D
Lens - Tamron 18-50 MM f2.8 Zoom Lens, set at 50MM f2.8 - ISO 800
22 Minutes of exposure (11x2 minutes)
AstroTrac TT320 Astrophotography mount for tracking


The Image above is a widefield area in the constellation, Sagittarius, containing the nebulae, M8 (lower nebula) and M20 (upper nebula). Above and to the left of M20, the Trifid Nebula, is the open cluster, M21. Below and to the left of M8, the Lagoon Nebula, is the globular cluster, NGC 6544.
Camera - Hap Griffin Modified Canon EOS 350D
Lens - Sigma 70-200MM f2.8 Zoom Lens, set at 200MM f2.8 - ISO 800

6 Minutes of exposure (3x2 minutes)
AstroTrac TT320 Astrophotography mount for tracking

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Very nice! Am actually heading to SC to give a talk at MAC and then get some astrophoto lessons from Hap.

Michael Overacker said...

Hap rules. I use his cables all the time, and he did the mod on my Canon 350D. I hope you have a good trip,and keep in touch.