Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Did you see the Total Lunar Eclipse?

The Total Lunar Eclipse happened this morning. I got up early to get my cameras to an area that had a nice SW horizon. I headed south on the Blue Ridge Parkway, knowing that there were no overlooks facing SW. I planned to find a good view along the road and shoot from there.
As I moved up in elevation, I started clearing the low haze in the valley that was blocking my view of the moon. As I drove, I could see the eclipse starting to take place. I found a spot to shoot and started to set up my cameras. By this time the moon was starting full umbral eclipse. I lined up the eclipsed moon in my viewfinder and started to focus, but was having difficulty. I shot once, and saw that the focus was off. I went to refocus, and could not see the moon. I stepped back away from the viewfinder to look, only to see that the moon had slipped behind a bank of clouds that was rising from the valley floor. I started to look around, and It was the same everywhere. I could see stars directly overhead, but all around me was clouds along the horizon. A quick assessmant told me that I would not be photographing this eclipse, so I packed a way my gear and started home. I did, however, get to see the eclipse, thus completing my bookends. I saw the moon rise while eclipsed on March 3, 2007, and I watched the moon set while eclipsed on August 28, 2007.
Was it worth getting up to see? YES!!! Would I do it again, knowing that the results would be the same. YES!!!
Lunar Eclipses are a wondrous sight, and even a small glimpse of one is worth the effort.

No comments: